I have a rather difficult issue to explain.

Let's take a survey with two open-ended questions.  Both questions were coded using the same coding system: Code(A) and Code(b). I would like to analyse the differences in coding between the two questions for the same person: what the person expresses in question B according to what he/she expressed in question A.

In other words, I am trying to create a matrix coding where only the coding concerning the same person appear: it is quite common with 1,2, ...5 cases, but with more than 100 cases it becomes tricky.

Formally, if ID is the person's identifier, I want to creatre a matrix where:  Code(A) x Code(B) for any ID(A) = ID(B).

I thought of creating relationships manually between all cases to link ID(A) and ID(B) , but it's long (no way to creat relationship automatically from a table?) and finally I'm not sure what to do with all these relationships.

I thought of creating as many cases as questions-ID. Then in the classification table, I indicate the ID, which allows to retrieve the couples. But after doing that, I am stucked.

The workaround I found is to create this table of transformations on a statistical software  to detect the most frequent movements from A to B. And then manually create relationships in Nvivo on these most frequent movements. But by doing this, I lose the interactive capabilities of nvivo. And if I get a set of relations between codes ("when there's that in A, there's that in B") but I still don't know how to display only the content where ID(A) = ID(B). 

Any idea, suggestions? (I'm not sure to be enough clear, both my english and my ideas are fuzzy )

I am looking in filter of crosstab Query. There are a lot of options but can't find any option to filter when "in the same Set" or "in the same Document".

Hi Alex,

If you have cases in your project and each case contains all data for all questions for this particular case, you can try to run a Matrix Coding query with Cases as rows and the Codes as columns.

This will give you a separate row for each Case and the Code, you will be able to see for each case, how the data is coded at each Code (A,B).

Regards,

Akshay