[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
tabitha

Project damaged after computer suddenly restarted. Recovery possible??

Hello - I had a project open when my computer suddenly restarted. When it turned back on, I attempted to open the file again and a window informed me that it had been damaged and asked if I would like to try to repair it. It was unable to be repaired and prompted me to restore from a recovery file which I did. Unfortunately, the recovery file is missing about half the work I did and I'm quite distressed. Is there any way I might recover this work? 

My project and related files are stored on OneDrive, and I wonder if this has sometime to do with my problem. 

files.PNG

nvivo repair unsuccessful.PNG

Hello Tabitha,

OneDrive or any other cloud service has a network channel between the folders you have selected to sync and your cloud space. In that sense, if you are saving your Nvivo project into a sync folder, it is similar to save your projects on a network drive. Nvivo Manual says that :

"By default, if your project is stored on a network drive, when you save the project your changes are saved locally—the .nvp project file on the network is only updated when you close the project. To avoid loss of data, make sure that you close your project before you turn off your computer."

It seems the unexpected restart of your computer preventer Nvivo to properly save your project, and as far as I know without a recovery file you can not recover your work.

I do use cloud storage to store my projects ignorer to access them wherever I need. However, I do keep my active project on documents folder and move and replace the copy in cloud folder after I finished my work.  I highly recommend a similar saving routine to prevent such unexpected data loss.

Hope this helps,

With regards,

• Like 1

Hi there - thank you so much for your response and suggestion of a file saving routine to prevent just this kind of situation. For now I'll just have to pull my socks up and get on with redoing my lost work.... :(

Best!

Tabitha