NVivo 12.6 for Mac files only exporting in .qdpx format?

Guest JoBourke
Go to solution Solved by canarik,

Guest JoBourke

Hello,

I have recently upgraded to NVivo 12.6 for Mac and now can't export project files in the standard .nvpx format so that I can work with my colleagues. Whenever I try to export files to upload to Dropbox they're automatically saved in .qdpx format and the only way that they can them be opened by other people in my team is through a conversion process which results in the coding and other features being lost. Does anyone have any suggestions here? I can't find a way to ensure that the default saving/export happens in .nvpx format. I've tried deleting and reinstalling Nvivo but that hasn't fixed the issue. 

Thanks very much! 

Jo 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

The export function in Nvivo for Mac is built to "project transfer between participating qualitative data analysis (QDA) programs", not to share project files with colleagues who uses Nvivo. For details you may want to look below link

https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/mac/v12.1.90-d3ea61/Content/projects-teamwork/refi-qda standard.htm

However, if you would like to share a project with your colleagues and they will use Nvivo for Mac, then all you need to do is to save (not export) your project, which will be in nvpx format.

Hope this helps,

With kind regards,

• 10 months later...
Guest Nikki DiGregorio

This is infuriating - surely there has to be a workaround?  I am now the only person on a three person grant that cannot share my work with colleagues. 

• 2 months later...

Saving the file instead of exporting worked for me. The issue I am having is my code books from different users keep duplicating. They won’t merge when I import their projects. 

• 10 months later...

I'm working on NVivo Mac and I need to send my file to colleagues that are using NVivo PC for them to merge the files. How to do that? ThanksI'm working on NVivo Mac and I need to send my file to colleagues that are using NVivo PC for them to merge the files. How to do that? Thanks

• Solution

Hello @roberto,

You do not need to take any action. Just finish your work, save your project.

Next, click your project file and create a duplicate then share this file with your colleagues who uses Nvivo for Windows.

Nvivo for Windows has a built in feature to convert your Nvivo for Mac project file. 

Kindest regards,

Hi I'm working on a projet with my collegue that they use NVivo for MAC and i'm the only one to use for PC. The version that I use, same as the other, is the R1.6. However,  the last update I got is the 1.6.1 and they have been able to upload the 1.6.2 available since march 2022 but not me. So when I try to open the file I'm not able to open it and convert it. Futhermore, the format is in qdpx. I tried to get the last upgrade by clicking on upgrade link in the plateform, I receive a message that I don't have any to upload. When I try to click on browser on the save as area, a window open and I most add a file. I have to name it and there a host area that I don't no what to put there.... Well I'm stuck and I really need it to work very soon... Can you help me please. 

Hello @Marie-Pier,

It seems that your colleagues used Nvivo's "Export Project" feature to share their work.  That's why you get a .qdpx file.

Please have them complete their work, save and close the project.

Then locate the save project file, select and right-click, choose "Duplicate".

They will have a duplicate copy version of their project to share with you.

You would not have any issue converting that file.

I also would recommend to have a look this post that contains crucial information about project conversion, even bookmarking it for further reference. 

Regards,

Hello Canarik, 

thank you so much for all the information you gave me. However, I still have a problem with the converting format. I received in the format npvx from my co-worker. I tried to open it on my PC, but when I click converting it didn't work. I receive a message telling me that the plug-in to install the converting plug-in doesn't work and I have to ask to QRS service to tell me how to install it manually and then I'll be able to convert MAC format on my PC. So, I wonder if you still can help me here :-). 

take you very much,

Best regards

Hello @Marie-Pier,

If converter gives an error, that will require further investigation from QSR support.

Please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards,