[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Guest Jenanne

How to organize data: cases/themes?

Guest Jenanne

Hello,

I am brand new to Nvivo and am seeking a bit of guidance on how to organize Nvivo to complete the analysis I'm planning. I am completing a systematic review of property buyouts in the United States. I have all the literature that include specific examples of buyouts occurring in various locations. I need to be able to organize by an example's location (multiple papers will discuss the same location). Each example will contain descriptive info (funding source, funding amount, geography, goal, outcome, and barriers/enablers). I will also need to sort the goals and outcomes into categories (such as environmental, risk reduction, economical, sociocultural,..). I will then need to be able to analyze these categories (ex: how many times is risk reduction the cited category, and which examples is this the case?).

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. 

I was thinking about making the various locations into cases and the categories into themes, but didn't know if this would produce what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Jenanne,

Moving from your example, I can say that you are on the right track.

You may want to create cases for your locations and assign attributes for each different location. You can also create attributes for your descriptive information about these cases. However, please note that if all of your cases do not contain a type of descriptive data, then it would appear as unassigned/not applicable. 

After completing this with all your sources, then you can create thematic nodes for key concepts like environmental, risk reduction, etc.

Such a coding strategy would allow you to create various visualizations of your coded data.

Hope this helps,

With regards,

Guest Jenanne

Thank you for the response and suggestions! 

What I'm going to try is having cases for my different locations, where I can sort my literature quotes into. Then I will sort that information into my nodes.

Thanks and best wishes!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.