SNak

Exporting data off NVivo

Hi there,

I recently completed a literature review, coding numerous sources. I have used some visualization tools within NVivo, however I was hoping to use this data off of NVivo in other visualization tools as well. I understand I can export some general data as excel spreadsheets, however is there a way to move the data you have collected off of NVivo, including the content of the specific coded material? Furthermore, if I change or update my NVivo file later,  is it possible for the exported data be updated in real time as well?

Any resources that anyone can direct me to regarding the ways in which data can be exported off NVivo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks~

Hello Snak,

Could you please elaborate more on your question.

- In which format you would need your coded content to be exported?

- Which visualization tools are you planning to use?

- What do you mean by "be updated real time"? (Please note that exporting is no different that exporting a picture from a Word file with "Save as picture" feature. Exported picture has no live connection with your original Word file. Thus if you make changes on the picture in your word file it will NOT affect the picture you imported before. Same rule applies to Nvivo.)

With kind regards,

Hi Canarik,

Thanks for your response.

I suppose I did not word this correctly. If possible, I was wondering if NVivo would link to an external file, such as an excel spreadsheet, that could be updated automatically, or synchronized as changes were made within NVivo. From what you have specified regarding exports, however, it sounds like this is not possible.

As well, for clarification, when I refer to exporting "content", I am speaking of direct quotes from the articles that have been highlighted. Thus far, I have only been able to export information regarding quantities of coding, nodes, etc.

As for visualization tools, I was considering using either the existing tools within Excel, or through Tableau.

Thanks again,

Hello again SNak,

Nvivo has the capacity of working with external data sources. However, it does not work as you described. Below link will be helpful for your to understand how it works.

http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/create_externals_for_sources_you_cannot_import.htm

The current version of Nvivo for Mac does NOT have the feature of creating reports to export "content" as NVivo for Windows does. 

Therefore, currently you can only export coded content for each code in text formats like word, txt when you view them in reference view.

Nvivo for Mac allows you to export your matrix coding query and cross tab query results in excel format. Thus, you can use them in both Excel and Tableau.

Hope these helps,

With kind regards,

PS: I intentionally provided help documentation link for Nvivo 11 for Mac because somehow I find them more informative than the current version's and the content is still valid.