Hi all,

I am using a paid version of NVIVO for Windows (Release 1.3 (535)). As far as I know, it is the latest version available for windows.

So here´s what I want to do:

Suppose I am working with two cases: sites and people and several codes.

Suppose I want a framework matrix which shows what a particular person (a case) is talking about a particular site (another case), when it comes to a particular issue (a code).

In other words, I want to make a framework matrix where the rows are a case (for instance a person) and the columns a code (for instance an opinion or sentiment about something), but the whole matrix is filtered by another case (for instance a site). So it shows what that person said or felt about a particular site.

So far I only managed to do a "normal" framework matrix, with one set of cases in the rows and the codes on the columns. But that´s not what I need.

I hope I made myself clear.

Can somebody help me out?

Thanks a lot in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joao,

You can run the matrix coding query selecting the Case (person) as rows and the Nodes as Columns. Once oyu have run the query, save the results of the query and give it a name. You can then again run a new matrix coding query selecting the query results that you just saved as Rows and the Case (Place) as Columns and then run the query.  ^AK

Hello Joao,

As far as I understand, you would like to see the auto summary of the coded text about "what that person said or felt about a particular site".

In order to answer your question, I need to know the extend of the relationship between your cases (people and sites).

Is each participant coming from a specific site and speaking about that site only? 

OR

Each participant is coming from a specific site but he/she might be speaking about their site and also some or all of the sites ?

With regards,

In regards to what was posted by QSRSupport:

Thank you very much for your response. What you said works. However (and I see know that I was not clear in my question) that only appears to work if I am interested in what was said regarding a particular issue (i.e. one code). The fact is that I am interested in what was said regarding more than one issue (i.e. more than one code). 

Also, when I use the matrix coding query, the result is a matrix where the cells are the amount of times a code appears in that particular row and column. My idea was to use the framework matrix because with this feature (and with the auto summarize) the cells show the actual code in each particular row and column. That helps a lot in the analysis

Is something similar to what I described possible using the framework matrix?

In regards to what was posted by Canarik:

Merhaba, Canarik

Thank you very much for your response.

It´s the second option you mentioned: Each participant is coming from a specific site but he/she might be speaking about their site and also some or all of the sites

To be even more clear: i used the person and site examples to make it simpler, but my research is about public policies. So I have four different knds of cases:

- the interviewees (former and current public officials)

- the public policies (three different industrial policies)

- the economic sector those policies influence (for instance, vehicles, computers, etc.)

- the organizations involved in the formulation of those policies (for instance, different ministries, development banks, etc)

Some examples of codes are the intruments used to implement the industrial policies:

- tax breaks,  loans, subsidies, etc.

Therefore, I would like to have  a framework matrix where I could see, in a specific public policy (among the three that I will cover) (a case) , what were the instruments used (codes) for the different sectors (cases). Or: what a interviewee (a case) said about about different economic sectors (cases), when it comes to different instruments (codes)

I hope I made myself clear. Thank you very much again for your reply

Hello again Joao,

Thank you for the clarification.

It seems what you would like to see requires a 3 dimentional (Code + 2 cases) filtering, which normally framework matrix feature is not capable of doing.

However do not worry, with some additional queries and coding you can utilize a workaround. I will try to explain below:

Since your desired matrix is not strictly bound to only one specific case value it is not possible to utilize case classifications.

Therefore you will have (let's say) 30 interviewees which makes 30 interview transcript documents as your data.

1) You will create "participants" case category and then cases for each file. Then you will create additional case categories for policies, sectors, and organizations.

2) When you come across any information regarding policies, sectors, and organizations you will code the data with the relevant case type.

3) Instruments will be your themes, thus you will also code relevant data under Instruments theme node with relevant sub-nodes.

After completing these steps you will need queries to reduce 3D filtering to 2D filtering.

Moving from your example  "what a interviewee (a case) said about about different economic sectors (cases), when it comes to different instruments (codes)"

You would need to perform a matrix coding query putting participants on rows and sectors on columns.

The output matrix will show you the frequencies of what each participant said about each sector. 

Click each cell that has a frequency higher than "0", the result window will show you the relevant text that is coded by both cases. 

At this stage all you need to do is to create a new case category let's say "P-Sec" then code the text in each result window with a new case. For example,

Mark-vehicle, Simon-vehicle, Mary-vehicle, etc...

Once you completed this step, your project is ready to create framework matrix. Just put your new P-Sec cases in rows and theme nodes in rows. 

Please do not forget to click auto-summarize once framework matrix has been created.

You can replicate this strategy as you desire.

Hope this helps.