Matrix coding - help I'm stuck

Guest Jaimee

Guest Jaimee

Hi all, 

I have a corpus of data coded from two open ended questions from 500 individuals (q1) and (q2) that I have imported into Nvivo and coded in parallel. Each individual answered both questions. I now have thematic codes for either question (3 major codes for each) and I am wanting to do a matrix coding query on the frequency with which participants who are coded at a theme on q1  are coded at another theme on q2. 

Doing a matrix coding query with the codes does not display this information and I cannot do this manually for each individual. I do have participants coded as cases and would very much appreciate any idea how to get the information that I need out of the query.  

Hello Jamie,

Please allow me to outline your project structure:

You have 500 interviews in which participants were asked to answer two questions. You have imported your interview data into Nvivo and created cases for each participant. Then, you completed thematic coding process.

If understood you correctly, it seems you have done everything perfectly.

Now, considering your query it is not clear whether you would like to visualize each participant or frequencies of participants.

Moreover, it is not clear whether your themes are exclusive to each question or not.

Let's think theme a is "agriculture" and theme b is "environmental change".

Does this mean agriculture theme only used while coding answers to question 1 and never used in coding answers to question 2?

If your answer is Yes: 

A) To  see the frequency of participants all you need to do is to create a matrix coding query with putting agriculture on rows and environmental change in columns. Created matrix table will show you number of coding references by default. Please right click and choose cases coded>[your classification name]. You will get number of cases coded to both agriculture and environmental change.

B) If you would like to see which participants were coded by both teams, you would need to create a new node using coding query.

1) Keep scope as "All of the following are true"

2) Choose coded at and all selected codes or cases and select agriculture

3) Choose coded at and all selected codes or cases and select environmental change

4) Run query 

5) Click save results and give a name to your new node let's say AEC.

Now create a matrix coding query and put your all cases in rows and AEC node in column.

Once your matrix table created right click and choose cell content>coding presence

All the cases coded with agriculture and environmental change will have "Yes" and the rest "No".

If your answer is No:

Then you would need to perform a couple more coding queries to get what you want.

1) Set your location criteria to the Question 1 node.

2) Keep scope as "All of the following are true"

3) Choose coded at and all selected codes or cases and select agriculture

4 ) Run query 

5) Click save results and give a name to your new node let's say Q1Agri

6) Set your location criteria to the Question 2 node.

7) Keep scope as "All of the following are true"

8) Choose coded at and all selected codes or cases and select environmental change

9 ) Run query 

10) Click save results and give a name to your new node let's say Q2EC

To see the frequency of participants, repeat steps in A but this time put Q1Agri in your rows and Q2EC in your columns.

To see each participants, repeat steps in B but this time put Q1Agri in step 2 and Q2EC in step 3.

Hope this helps,

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.