Searching for word co-occurrences

Hi 

I am undertaking a project where I am looking for the top 30 keywords, then searching for the top 30 word co-occurrences associated with the keywords. For example, a keyword may be 'building', and an associated word co-occurrence may be 'building area'.

Other content analysis software allows for word co-occurrences to be easily calculated and then exported to an excel spread sheet. With NVivo 12, I understand that the only way to do this type of analysis is to manually go through the word trees for each of the keywords, and looking at the branches with most frequency counts. This can be pretty time consuming, and was wondering:

• Is there an easier way to undertake this type of analysis in NVivo ?
  • Can the frequency counts from the word trees be exported to Excel ?

Thanks

Hello RK5865,

As you have already stated, there is no exact feature in Nvivo to provide what you would like to achieve. However, it is still possible to reach that information with applying a workaround.

I will try to explain step by step utilizing Nvivo's Sample Project below:

1) Open your project properties, under general tab click "stop words" and make sure you have added all words that you will be omitting into that list.

2) There are 14 interviews in The Sample Project. In order to find out top 30 keywords, open word frequency query and select all interview as your "search in" scope, then run the query. Top 30 words in summary tab will provide you the "keywords". You may want to save this query via clicking "Add to Project" button.

3) In this list the most frequent word is "people". In order to find word co-occurrences, open text search query and put this word in quotations, then set your "search in" scope to interviews and in "spread to" options choose "custom content" with "number of words" is set to "1". The results will provide you word co-occurrences of "people" that includes the words that come right before and after "people". Please save results as a node via clicking "save results" button with the name "people-wcoo".

4) Open node "people-wcoo" then click "word cloud" in visualize node section of the ribbon. The summary tab will provide you word co-occurrences of "people" which you can export as an excel file.

5) Replicate these steps for your remaining top 29 keywords.

Hope this helps,

1.jp2 2.jp2 3.jp2 4.jp2