Coding intersections NVivo 2020 Mac

Guest hannajoypayne@gmail.com

Guest hannajoypayne@gmail.com

Is it possible to do a query in NVivo where I can ask the program to pull up all paragraphs across a set of ~300 documents that contain two (or more) coded (and specified) keywords? 

For example, if I've created a code for the word "women" and coded all instances of the word "women" across all my documents to that code, and done the same for "equality", I then want to find all paragraphs where both the words "women" and "equality" show up. Is there a query to do this -- to say, show me all paragraphs that have the code "women" and the code "equality" in them?

I know I can do a coding query if I "spread" the codes to the paragraph level for both of these codes, and then ask for all content coded to both "women" and "equality", but I'm coding over 300 documents for about 100 different keywords, and "spreading coding" takes a really long time. I'm hoping there is an easier way to do this. 

Thanks!

Hello Hanna,

If you created your "women" code (and codes for other keywords) initially without spreading its scope to surrounding paragraph, performing a coding query with spreading option is the only "exact way" of what you would like to achieve. 

Although the number of documents is irrelevant for such a task, you would be needing to perform coding query for every overlapping instances.

Another workaround would be using a text search query with proximity option. However, results might differ from actual paragraph. If we consider that a paragraph contains 100 words. Then you can use "women equality" ~100 as your search term.

Hope this helps,

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.