I need to look for something simple, and yet I seem to be unable to do so...I need to find which files are coded at two different codes. My research is based on newspaper articles and ageism. I am looking, for example, to know how many files (and preferably which ones!) have the code 'vulnerable' and 'over 60 years old'. The two codes do not need to overlap, I just need to figure out which files have these two codes at the same time, anywhere in the text, basically: how many files are coded at A and B. My workaround so far has been to 'visualize' the code with the option to 'compare with' another code, but then I have to manually count the files that appear in both codes, and I can only select two codes at a time. The coding query is of no help, I get a list of references, with no table or count of files. There must be a simpler way I hope? Thank you all for your help! 

Thanks for your answer! Yes, I've tried the coding comparison via the visualization option when left clicking on a code; it's fine with a small number or articles, but with over 300 that becomes more of a headache than anything! I've also looked at Matrix coding but that only spits out results when code A and B overlap-- in my query, they don't need to overlap, they just need to be both in the same file. 

I am so grateful you are trying to help out, I tried the Framework Matrix, which was helpful as I get to see the actual reference, however, I still need to do a manual count of sources coded at both codes. 

If you are using NVivo for Windows you may want to try a Compound Query. It allows you to run two coding queries, two text search queries, or one of each and set the proximity of the items. Setting the proximity to near and then fine tuning it to "in the same scope item" using the "Options" button. I hope this helps.

1459531246_CompoundQuery.png.f43010e6a4d3c80f9b0e162fb8ea5fd8.png

Just wanted to add to my previous post, if the compound query works for you when you get the results use the Summary tab on the right-hand side will give you a list of files rather than a list of references. 

Hi all,

In NVivo there are often multiple ways to get things done. In addition to Stuart's idea, I thought of another one on my run this morning. (Nothing like a run to spark ideas).

You could try creating Dynamic Sets (if using new NVivo; these are called Search Folders in NVivo 12 and previous versions). One advantage of Dynamic Sets is that they refresh automatically each time you run/open them, even if you have done more work or coding or added new Files. I used the Sample Project, which you can also use to try this. I use the example of finding the Files coded to Balance that are also coded to Infrastructure.

Here are the steps I tried (and they worked, :)).

• Dynamic Sets, Create New, and name the Set on the General Tab. I recommend a descriptive name with the 2 codes of interest (e.g., Balance_Infrastructure_Files)
  • Switch to Search Criteria tab, and the Advanced tab beneath it
  • In the Look For window, select Files, Externals and Memos
  • Under "Define more criteria" enter File, Coded to, Select first Code of interest (e.g., Balance)
  • Then, you have to complete the by Any User (or whatever is appropriate entry there) in order for the entry to become live. That is, before the Add to List button will be activated. (It took me a bit to figure that one out, not intuitive).
  • Then, repeat the process for the second Code (e.g., Infrastructure) Add to List.
  • Review the middle window, which says, "Find items that match all these criteria".  I sometimes read them aloud to be sure I've got it right. In my example, "Find Files coded to Balance AND coded to Infrastructure". 
  • Select "Find Now" and see the results in the main window
  • You can see the number of Files that meet the criteria in the bottom toolbar
  • You can right click over the list of Files to export as an Excel spreadsheet if you wish.

Dynamic Sets.PNG

Dynamic Sets Results.PNG

BOTH OPTIONS WORKED!!!! I am so happy, thank you all for helping me out, and being so quick, and explaining it all in such clear language, with screenshots! @Stuart Robertson, when looking at the 'near' option, I'm just curious, what do the other options mean? 'Find for first search item' and 'finds for second search item' ? My problem was that I took for granted 'spread to entire file' meant 'look for those two codes anywhere in the document'. At this point I really am just curious :) Both options work, so even if I don't understand how, I'm happy!! Thanks again!! image.png.efa4a734919898a7c7c8041e2042984c.png