How to sync two computers

Hello, Can I have the same data set in two computers without having to purchase two licenses? If so, how can I make sure that the data will be synched automatically in a work desktop and home laptop? Lastly, my laptop is a Mac (I purchased Parrallels) and the desktop is a PC, will that be a problem? 

Thank you for your assistance, 

Sandra 

Hi Sandra, You need to make a copy of your project and upload it to a share drive or save to a thumb drive. And then copy it to your other computer. I would recommend using one operating system with NVivo. So if you are using your Mac, you would use the Parallel software you have to open the NVivo Project in the Windows environment. You don't have to purchase two licenses if you purchase NVivo for Windows you can use install it on your Windows and Mac Computers.

• Like 1

Hello Sandra,

If you would like to work on a project with multiple computers, I strongly recommend using external drive storage over cloud server.

The reason is that when you save a NVivo project file, cloud service client immediately attempts to synchronize these changes to the project file which is stored within the cloud. However, the client will be unable to access the project file because NVivo has exclusive access to the file while the project is open in NVivo which can cause problems that might even lead to data loss.

In addition to that please make sure to set project recovery options or create a secondary back up as a safeguard.

Hope this helps,

• Like 3