Case classifications for review data in table format

I uploaded an excel file containing scoping review data (rows are publications and columns are extraction fields). I uploaded a corresponding file as a classification sheet with the same fields for publications and additional classification data. After coding my data I realized that the case classification sheet wasn't tied to my data file so now I can't compare coding by cases. Because the publication (case) fields were imported as free text rather than close-ended fields, I was unable to use the autocode function to establish cases. 

Is there are a way for me to retroactively establish cases? Either to tie the classification sheet to my data sheet or to re-classify the publications field as close-ended so I can use autocode to establish cases. 

I hope this makes sense! I would be glad not to have to scrap all of our coding!

Hi Lisahac, when working with datasets, you should have one column containing unique identifier for each subject in your data (ex. Respondent ID).  This column can be used by NVivo when using auto coding to code cases to each value in a column.  Note that once a dataset has been imported, you can no longer change the analysis type of a field (codable or classifying). See this link: https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/20/mac/Content/files/datasets.htm

If you coded your data file to the Codes, you can try manually coding the relevant data from the data sheet to your Case. NVivo queries and project items that rely on coding intersections will then be able to see these intersections and relate them in queries or visualizations. This is how NVivo will be able to “tie” your Codes, Cases, and case attributes.  

You may also need to update your case classification to include the classifying fields that were on your data file. You can do this manually or by importing a “consolidated” classification sheet containing all the classifying fields for your Cases or by adding the attributes and values in NVivo.

Contact us here if you still need help: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/
^BM