Using Nvivo 11 to visualise distribution of codes across child nodes of parent node by case attribute

Hi guys, apologies if this is a basic question! 

In the codebook I've generated, I really want to compare the distribution of coding between the child nodes of a parent node, but looking at how this compares for three different attribute values. The child nodes are mutually exclusive categories, so I want to see how "popular" each child node is for the different attribute values of a particular attribute (e.g. to see whether participants from different ethnic groups were more likely to hold particular views).

Does anyone know if this is possible? Any help would be much appreciated! 

Hello @Alice T,

It is possible to create what you want.

Let me explain with an example from the Sample Project.

Let's say you would like to see how interview participants' opinions differ based on their age group when discussing reasons for fishing industry decline.

1) Go to Explore and choose Matrix Coding Query.

2) Search in : Selected Folders: Interviews

3) Rows : Case Classifications>Person: Age Group Select All relevant attribute values.

4) Columns: Codes>Economy>Fishing or Aquaculture>Fishing industry decline Select all relevant child codes.

5) Run the query

You will get the frequency distribution for number of coding references.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Hi @canarik,

Thank you so much, that's really helpful!

I've followed your steps and have now got the frequency distribution, which I've then calculated as a percentage for easier comparison.

I just had one more question which is probably very simple (it's been a few years since I last did any data analysis so am very rusty!). The number of sources in each attribute value varies - I have two groups of 6 and one of 4. Is the frequency distribution calculated in a way that allows for difference in group size, or do I need to calculate the frequency distribution proportionally to make the figures comparable?

N.B. I know a sample size of 4 in one group is too small for solid comparison and am accounting for this in my reading of my results.

I really appreciate the support!

All the best :)

Hello again @Alice T,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to display proportional distribution. You will need to do it manually.

Please submit a feature request from here: https://nvivo.canny.io/

Hope this helps,

Regards,