Number of coding references doesn't tally at different levels, help!

Hi there, I am working with a fairly large dataset which I've coded into nodes containing subnodes. I'm trying to explore my data based on case attributes (in the first instance, people within demographic group 1, 2 or 3)- looking at how many coding references there are per attribute group. When I export summaries of numbers of coding references at different levels, e.g. top level nodes vs at the subcategory level, and then add them all up, they don't come to the same number. Its normally just a small discrepancy but I'm trying to work out what's going on and how to fix it - can anyone help? 

More detail in case my explanation isn't clear - I have one top level node labelled positive things. Within this are four main categories: features, infrastructure, values and access, and these all have sub categories within them. Each level has aggregated from children.

When I export data for the three demographic groups at the main category level and sum the number of coding references for all, I get a different number of coding references than when I export data for the top level node.

Many thanks! Sarah  

Hello @Sarah Hobbs,

I would suggest checking aggregation within the code tree.

Let say your coding structure is similar to this:

Top Level Code

Code A

Code 1

Code 2 

Code B

Code C

Assuming there are multiple references, if you turn on aggregation for the top-level code but not for Code A, the references coming from Code 1 and Code 2 will not be included for the count of top-level code.

Regards,

Hi Sarah, as Canarik has mentioned I would recommend checking your code aggregation. If you are still having difficulty working out why your reference counts aren’t what you are expecting, please submit a support request at the below link and we will be able to take a look at your project:

https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport

Regards, 

Heather

Hi Canarik and Heather, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question. 

I've checked the aggregation and it all seems ok. So looking at the codebook, the numbers tally and then when I explore the data at different levels, the numbers then change - so frustrating! I've submitted a support request as you advise Heather so hopefully I can get to the bottom of it soon, 

Many thanks indeed, 

Sarah