What languages can you use the text search query function for?

Hello, I'm trying to use a text search query for several different languages and trying to figure out if the text search query function will work with those languages. 

When I try to Google information about this, the following comes up: "

"NVivo provides the following text content languages: Chinese, English (UK), English (US), French, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish. Each text content language has an associated dictionary which allows you to find words with the same stem when you run Text Search or Word Frequency queries."

I'm not sure what is meant by the "same stem." Does this only mean when using a text search query to find stemmed words? And, if so does that mean you can us the text search query for other languages if looking for exact matches?

I'm trying to search for exact matches of keywords in the following languages: Portuguese, Hungarian, Italian, Greek, Somali, Malaysian, Albanian, Finnish, and Danish. 

Thanks for the help!

Best Wishes, 

Kristen 

Hello @Kristen,

If you will only perform text search query for exact matches you would not experience any issue.

Though, you might want to consider altering stop words list accordingly.

Regarding stemmed words, Nvivo is capable of locating and including stemmed words. To give an example if you choose to "include stemmed word option" and run a query to find occurrences of word "talk", the results will also include "talking".

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Thanks for your help! I think I will delete all the stop words because I'm using several phrases with quotation marks, and I had trouble with nvivo pulling up words in between the quotation marks when i tried to search for phrases in the past. 

Kristen 

Hello again @Kristen,

Excellent point! 

That's why I suggested to alter stop words list. You can delete all and add desired ones based on your research needs.

It is always possible to restore to default list.

Regards,