Dear Forum,

I’m running Release 1 NVivo for Windows under Windows 10.  Consider the following scenario.

I have a project that has one case (CaseA) and two files (file1 and file2).  Both files are 100% coded to the single case.

I have 3 codes defined (Code1, Code2 and Code3).  Three non-overlapping fragments of text in the files are coded to the three codes. 

Code 1 and Code 3 are coded to text in file1, and Code 2 is coded to text in file2, such that if I do a basic Matrix Coding Query of codes and cases (rows) against files (columns) I get:

A : file1        B : file2

1 : Code1             1              0

2 : Code2             0              1

3 : Code3             1              0

4 : CaseA             2              2

In a similarly structured real project with many dozens of cases, I'm interested in the crosstabulation of particular codes.  The essence of this crosstabulation is presented in the following more complex Matrix Coding Query scenario below, using the data as described above.

When I crosstab Code1 (rows) against Code 2 and Code 3 (columns), and limit the scope by setting the ‘Selected Items…’ to select just CaseA, and use the ‘Near’ option, and under ‘Options…’ I have selected ‘In Same Scope Item for the ‘Proximity’, I get:

A : Code2     B : Code3

1 : Code1              0              1

The intersection of Code1 and Code3 is found for CaseA, but, the intersection of Code1 and Code2 is not found for CaseA.  If I swap the row and column criteria for the Matrix Coding Query I get the same result transposed.

Having set the ‘Near’ ‘Proximity’ to be ‘In Same Scope Item’, and, having set the ‘Selected Items…’ scope to be just CaseA, I would’ve expected both code intersections to be detected.

Is the issue caused by having two files for the case of interest? 

If so, is there a query or other search that I can do that would identify the intersection of Code1 and Code3 in CaseA, AND, the intersection of Code1 and Code2 in CaseA?

Hello @Stuart Palmer,

You stated "Three non-overlapping fragments of text in the files are coded to the three codes. Code 1 and Code 3 are coded to text in file1, and Code 2 is coded to text in file2".

This means, there is no section that is coded for both code 1 and code 2 regardless from your scope item.

The reason why you see "1" for code 1 and code 3 intersection is your proximity scope since both codes are in the same file.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Thanks @canarik.

With the ‘Near’ ‘Proximity’ set to be ‘In Same Scope Item’, and, having set the ‘Selected Items…’ scope to be Cases, I was imagining that the scope for code intersections would be expanded to all files in a Case.

Do you know if it is possible at all to do the type of crosstabulation I'm trying to achieve in NVivo?

Or will I have to export my case-by-code data in a table and do the analysis in another tool?

Hello again @Stuart Palmer,

Please allow me to underline again, if code 2 has never been used in File 1 then there is no coding intersections with either code 1 or code 3. 

In order to find an intersection there has to be at least one coding overlap. This is something regardless of your scope item. 

Thus, given what you have provided, the matrix coding query result is reflecting correct information.

If your analysis requires you to locate coding intersections, those cells with "0" confirm that there is no intersection.

However if you would like to achieve something else, perhaps you might want to share what type of a research question you would like to address.

I hope this helps,

Regards,