Framework matrix and files (not cases)

I am using nvivo for a literature review and have coded several pdfs against research questions. I have imported the pdfs and they are saved as "files" in Nvivo and are titled by article title.

I'd like to create a framework matrix using the document name (i.e. title) as the rows, and the research questions as the columns. When I create a framework matrix it appears I can't select files as rows. I've tried creating "cases" and "sets" from the files in nvivo. Still no luck creating a framework matrix. For example, when I select "cases" all I get is a blank matrix as per the attachment. When I select sets I can't select the sets of pdfs I have created from the files. I've included screenshots for both.

Any suggestions or help/tutorials that discuss creating framework matrices from files?

Screenshot 2022-01-11 172238.png

Screenshot 2022-01-11 172526.png

Hello @Olinda,

As described here, framework matrices by design work with cases instead of files.

Therefore, all you need to do is to

1) Select all your files

2) Right click

3) Create As>Cases

Now you will have a case (code) for each file, which contains same coded information.

So, you will be able to choose those cases while creating your framework matrix.

Please do not forget to click auto-summarize button.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Hello, thanks for your response. I had tried as you suggested and created cases from the files. But the framework matrix that is produced is still empty. See screenshot. Is it because I have too much coded text for the matrix to handle perhaps?

787998279_Screenshot2022-01-17081557.thumb.png.66c0b71696cce4385295002dbd2b7c84.png

Hello @Olinda,

If you clicked "Auto-summarize" button and still could not see the results, this is unexpected.

Please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards,

Hi Olinda,

It is possible you have done everything correctly except change the view in the framework matrix. In the Framework Matrix tab, select ;Associated View->'Cell Coding' Once this view is activated, you can click into a cell intersecting the case and code, and you will only see content coded from that case to that code on the right hand side, You can then add manual summaries or 'auto-sumarise'. 

R1%20Celll%20View%20-%20Framework%20Matr

I hope this response is helpful, but do let me know if you have any questions or concerns

Kind regards,

Ben
Platinum_Trainers_Badge_2021-239x300.png