examining data broken down by more than two attributes

NicoleUW

My data consists of an imported excel file with open ended survey responses for a few hundred respondents. I have already coded the data into the relevant nodes for my project. I also have a classification file with demographic data (e.g., gender, ethnicity, community of residence, etc.). I would like to examine my data broken down by more than two attributes. I cannot figure out how to do this. I can only see the option of breaking down by two attributes at a time. I'd like to be able to examine the responses of, for example, (1) White (2) females (3) from X community (4) who are also parents... (all info I have in the attributes file). Suggestions please. Thanks!

Hi Nicole,

There are several ways you could accomplish this. You could use a coding query to extract the comments from one or multiple codes based on several conditions ( (1) White (2) females (3) from X community (4) who are also parents for example.

If you wanted to compare several values from one attribute. Make a static-set of white females for example (coding query or advance find), place your thematic codes in a matrix or crosstab and use community and parental status as the attributes but use the ‘Selected items’ option in the matrix or cross tab to filter on your white female set. You can now compare all parents and/or non-parents and all or selected communities against your code knowing that the results displayed are coming from white females only.

Running either of the above option will require an understanding of the queries mentioned, but the analysis you seek is definitely achievable and fairly easily if you get your head around these queries and their potential.  

I hope this response was helpful but do let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

Ben
Platinum_Trainers_Badge_2021-239x300.png